Wednesday, August 31, 2011

...helping isn't easy

Sometimes people aren't easily helped.
They want to speak when you haven't finished your sentence, thinking they already know what you are about to say when it isn't even close. Stopping and starting the process of helping is very time consuming as well. More often than not the best way to approach a subject is to let the person run out of things to say and then begin. However, if the person is quite 'windy' then you may be there for awhile.
Another problem is concentration. When you are trying to show someone how to do something it is very important to get them to pay attention to the actual subject. You may be talking about one thing while the person you are attemting to help is concentrating on an entirely different subject. That too makes for a lot longer "helping session".
I have a tough time with people being on the phone, in front of their computer, asking questions about a topic and I have no earthly idea what they are seeing. "It's the little thingy right there on the left... do you know what I mean?" They are pointing with their finger at what they are referring to and I'm ten miles away listening to them on my cell phone.
At the end of the day I wish I had recorded some of these interesting conversations so I could play them back for them later ... over the phone and let them figure out what it was they were trying to tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment