Friday, July 30, 2010

...when it all comes into focus.

I stopped work at almost 1AM.
I am suddenly tired, but it's a good tired. Di and I worked on a new logo today for an organizatin that helps single parent families. I love it when we do things like this for people like this.
At first I couldn't get anything that I liked until I broke down the original idea into a much smaller, simpler version . It was just too busy. Earlier, I visited with one of the people from the group of "deciders" and got a sense of what she was talking about right away. We had a great conversation and as I hung up I got a slight spark of an idea and went right to work. After a few hours the idea took shape and I made four versions of the design and posted them in an email to the four people that are deciding on the quality of our efforts.

I hope this strikes as strong a chord with them as it did with me. It just felt right, ya know?
Its like that with songs too. I get a hint of a melody and run for my guitar in anticipation. More often than not the melody expands and in a little while a new one is birthed! It's magical and wonderful and invigorating and more. Those are the good times for me. I would rather write than eat; be it music, a book, a short story, a commercial. It just doesn't matter. It's the idea of bringing something from inside my head and having it displayed on the page and make sense. The best are normally the first, fastest written and loosely worded ones. They take a bit of refinement, sure, but in the end it's that thought that just pops out that hits home the hardest and truest.
How do you write? How do you create the work that roams around in your head? I'd really love to know.
John

No comments:

Post a Comment